in the tradition of Sayagyi U Ba Khin
Centre Location: Website | Map
** Unless noted otherwise, course instructions are given in the following languages: French and English
The Québec Vipassana Centre, also called in Pali, Dhamma Suttama, meaning “the best of Dhamma,” is located halfway between Montréal and Ottawa/Gatineau, five kilometers north of Montebello. On this exceptional property, in a tranquil, open valley surrounded by forest, the centre can accommodate more than 100 students per course. Purchased in February 2011, the new centre continues to uphold the mission of the former Sutton centre established in 1999.
- Access the application form by clicking Apply for the desired course. Old students will be given the option to serve.
- Please carefully read the Introduction to the Technique and Code of Discipline which you will be asked to follow during your course.
- Fully and completely fill out all the sections of application form and submit it. An application is required to register for all courses.
- Await notification. All correspondence will be through e-mail if you give an e-mail address in your application. Due to the large volume of applications, it may take up to two weeks before receiving notification.
- If your application is accepted then we require you to confirm you will be attending in order to secure your place in the course.
|Québec Vipassana Meditation Centre - Dhamma Suttama|
The instructions of the Direction de la Santé Publique have been put in place to avoid the spread of COVID-19.
Important Note: You should not register if:
- You have travelled abroad within 14 days prior to the course.
- You have symptoms related to COVID-19 or if you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive or has symptoms.
- Due to a chronic illness or health problem, you have a symptom or symptoms (cough, sneezing, etc.) that is similar to a cold, flu or COVID-19.
- You have health problems that put you at greater risk.
Rideshare: There is no rideshare service organized by the center, but you can travel with someone else. However, in the event that you have symptoms while at the center, you must be self-sufficient in terms of transportation and be able to return home on your own or be sure to reach someone who can pick you up the same day.
The following measures are applied to the center during the courses:
- Wearing the mask is mandatory for all movements inside the center. Please bring a sufficient number of masks for the duration of the course. Please note that masks with valves or air holes as well as face covers made of plastic (or other derivative substance) are not accepted.
- In the meditation room, the mask may be removed only when you are seated and you must put it back on before getting up to leave.
- When you take off your mask, you must put it in a cloth bag.
- You can walk outside while respecting the distance of 2 meters.
Students are expected at the centre between 2 and 4 pm for the registration period and the orientation. The course ends the morning of the 11th day by 6:30 am.
Registration opens on the specified date at 5:00 a.m. during Standard Time and 6:00 a.m. during Daylight Savings Time.
Click the 'Apply' link to complete an application. Old students will have the option to serve or to sit the course.
Students may apply to sit no more than one 10-day course. Any additional applications will not be processed.
Virtual Vipassana Meditation Program for old students
A Virtual Vipassana Meditation Program of weekly group sittings & half-day sittings for old students only - and the links to join - can be found at the Dhamma Suttama's Old Student website, on the Vipassana Activities page
|Attend / Serve||Dates||Course Type||Status||Location||Comments|
|Apply||25 Nov - 06 Dec||10-Day||In Progress||Montebello|
|06 Dec||Board Meeting||Open||Montebello||All old students are welcomed to attend, as observers, the Board meetings held at the Center near Montebello. Meditation at 9h. Meeting at 10:15. Lunch at 12:00. Meeting at 1:00. https://www.suttama.dhamma.org/en/os/about-the-vipassana-foundation/|
|Apply||06 Dec - 09 Dec||Work Period||Servers - Open||Montebello||
For old students
|Apply||09 Dec - 20 Dec||10-Day||Women - Course Full New Men - Course Full Old Men - Wait List Servers - Open||Montebello|
|Apply||20 Dec - 23 Dec||Work Period||Servers - Open||Montebello||
For old students
|23 December, 2020 - 03 January, 2021||10-Day||Applications accepted starting 02 Dec||Montebello|
The online application form encrypts your information before it is sent from your computer to our application server. However, it may not be totally secure even though encryption is used. If you are concerned about the possibility of security risks of your confidential information while it is on the Internet, do not use this form and instead download an application. Print and complete it. Then please send the form to the course organizers at the address listed under the “Contact Us” Tab above. By faxing or posting your application form it may delay the registration process by one to two weeks.
To access the Old Student Regional Site please click http://suttama.dhamma.org/os. A user name and password will be required to access these pages.
Questions may be addressed to Email: [email protected]
All courses are run solely on a donation basis. All expenses are met by donations from those who, having completed a course and experienced the benefits of Vipassana, wish to give others the same opportunity. Neither the Teacher nor the assistant teachers receive remuneration; they and those who serve the courses volunteer their time. Thus Vipassana is offered free from commercialisation.
Old students are those who have completed a 10-day Vipassana Meditation course with S.N. Goenka or his Assistant Teachers. Old students have the opportunity to provide Dhamma Service at the courses listed.
Meditation courses are held at both center and non-center locations. Meditation centers are dedicated facilities where courses are held regularly throughout the year. Before meditation centers were established in this tradition, all courses were held at temporary sites, such as campgrounds, religious retreat centers, churches and the like. Today, in regions where centers have not yet been established by local students of Vipassana who live in the area, 10 Day meditation courses are held at non-center course sites.
10-day Courses are an introductory course to Vipassana Meditation where the technique is taught step-by-step each day. The courses begin after a 2 - 4 pm registration period and orientation, followed by 10 full days of meditation, and end the morning of the 11th day by 7:30 am.
Work Periods have been set aside to work on a variety of Centre maintenance, construction, household and gardening projects. All Old Students are welcome to participate. The daily program will include three group sittings with morning and afternoon work periods. On selected evenings, there will be tapes played of special discourses and talks that S.N. Goenka has given to Old Students.